Wednesday 1 April 2009

No, I will not direct questions to yourself

Attention, illiterate executives. “Myself” is not a synonym for “me”. I know you think that if you use longer words you’ll sound cleverer, but you’re mistaken. What you’re actually doing is using wrong words and sounding stupid.

The actual explanation for this involves complicated concepts like “subject” and “object” and “reflexive pronoun”, but you haven’t got a hope in hell of understanding that, so I’ll try and make it simple:

  • You do things to yourself
  • I do things to myself

Since it’s a safe bet that nobody cares what you do to yourself, you have no reason at all to use “myself” in any emails or intranet posts or press releases you write.

Next time: why nobody cares at all about anything you do, and you should just kill yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment